The tree that takes away grief


The tree that takes away grief

“Ashoka” word means that one who is free from Shokam (grief/Sadness)
We all know that Sita was placed in Ashoka Vatika(Grove of Ashoka tree)with demons as guards after her abduction by Ravana. This myth was from Bhavishya Puranam, a long time before Sita was abducted by Ravana


Once upon a time in the Bhil tribe, there lived a cannibal by the name Sashoka. He was terror of forest in Central India. He used to feast on innocent travellers or pilgrims crossing the forest area. Sashoka was merciless and never spared anyone. People ran away when they saw him coming their way. Once Sashoka was on search for his prey and he chances upon a hut. Sashoka looks into the hut and he sees the peaceful face of a hermit who is undeterred by the bird’s song and lost in his meditation. Sashoka felt an unknown attraction for the sage as he had seen only panic stricken face of his prey and the serene face of the ascetic was an contrast to the people he meet. Sashoka was fascinated by the sage who seemed to be in a trance without any movement and approached him as if he was being pulled towards him.
Sashokan said, “ O Rishi , How are you at such peace ? “ 
“I know no peace. Why I am not like you?”
Rishi slowly opened his eyes and asked,” Who are you my son?”
“What do you want?”
Sashokan replied,” O Seer I am a Cannibal belonging to Bhil tribe. I kill people and eat them for pleasure. I used to derive pleasure out of their fear and anguish. I thought that pleasure was the biggest joy on Earth. After seeing your face my heart is filled with doubt. I want to be like you. How can I find such peace?”
Rishi with a mystic smile on lips replies,” Son, I am happy that you are aware of your misdeeds.
Sashoka,” O holy one, when can I have the same peace as you, so that people may love me instead of running away from me?”
Rishi ,” Son, Worry not You cannot have the peace that you desire now.   You will gain peace only after you have righted all your wrongs. Spend your days in penance and prayer towards almighty.”
Sashoka with tears in his eyes bowed to Rishi, “I will indulge in penance relinquishing my desires and try to attain peace. Henceforth I won’t live the life of a cannibal.”
 Rishi,” Get up my son wipe your tears. Time is the healer of everything. Spend your life in penance and in your next life you will be reborn as a tree in Srilanka. You will host Sita, wife of Lord Ram under your shade. One day Lord Hanuman the messenger of Lord Rama will alight upon you to deliver his message from his master Ram to Sita. Hanuman message will not only bring an end to sufferings of Sita but you also will be absolved of your sins and your worries would also disappear. Those who sit under your shade would also be freed from worries and grief.
Sashokan’s moist eyes Shined like diamonds. He was filled with energy and joy after hearing the seer words.
Rishi further continued,” You will be known as Ashoka, the tree that takes away grief!”
He paid homage to the sage and left the ashram to follow his destiny.
Years later, Sita was Abducted by Ravana and lived in Ashoka Vatika. The Ashoka tree is an evergreen tree known for its deep green foliage and cluster of scarlet flowers. The Ashoka tree was also called as Sita-Ashoka is a common motif in Indian Iconography. The botanical name is Saraca Indica



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Aswini Kumars / Ashvins /Asvins/ Acvins

Poompuhar- Kannagi story in stone

Yazh